Rijeka’s Pier was constructed for Austro-Hungarian administration by the architect Antal Hajnal. The construction lasted from 1872 to1888. The pier was named Pier Maria Teresa in the honor of the Austro-Hungarian empress Maria Teresa. In May 1945, during the World War II, it was devastated upon the retreat of German forces. After the war, the pier was rebuilt.
The depiction of the destroyed Pier in wool is based on the photograph from that period. It is homage to Rijeka’s history and old wool crafts that are forgotten. It is created to inspire the interest in the city’s history as well as in the history of the surrounding areas.